Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Amalea H

When I moved to Washington in 2008, I was in a pretty huge transitional phase of my life.  Because I was single (albeit old), I was contemplating attending a Ward (church congregation) for young single adults.  My thinking was, if I was going to meet someone single in my faith... well, it would probably be there. 

But I sincerely believe I (we) have a loving Heavenly Father who will guide me (us) so I (we) am (are) where I (we) need to be when I (we) need to be.  Even if it takes a few years to pan out

Thus, the Sunday I was planning to make arrangements to attend that young single adult congregation is the exact Sunday I was asked to serve as a counselor in Relief Society to Amalea (which would keep me in the family ward -- which is a congregation with married people and children).  Feeling that this was not coincidental, I accepted the calling and met one of the most wonderful women ever. 

And consequently found a husband.  (After a few years...)

Amalea is awesome.  She is full of life and full of fun.  She is giving and thoughtful.  She is hilarious.  Few others can make me laugh the way she does -- usually from the shock.  For example, she would have ladies' night out parties and we would watch a chick flick.  One night we watched one of the Twilight movies.  And she declared that she found the actor who portrays Edward sexy.

Ummm.  Ew.  Haha.  Well, so we don't find the same attributes attractive in men. 

Although...  She is the one responsible for my husband being my husband.  And she did say he was cute when she was first telling me all about him :).  (And she was right!)  It's a long story, but I do believe it was one of those things orchestrated by my Heavenly Father.  And had I never accepted that call to serve with Amalea, it may be unlikely my husband and I would ever have met. 

But we did.  And because of that special fact, our little baby girl's middle name is Amalea.  So we can tell her one day about this woman who holds a special place in our hearts.  So we can tell her that she is named after someone fun and amazing and hilarious and wise.  So we can tell her how grateful we are for Amalea.

What are you grateful for today?

1 comment:

Amalea Hendrickson said...

Whoa! I turned on the computer, saw your daily gratitude post, saw my name and immediately got nervous. haha. Thanks for thinking of me, and portraying me in such a positive light, despite my many warts. I'm so glad you moved to Bremerton too and for everything that has transpired since. Your are a wonderful friend in every way, and I love you dearly.