Friday, December 20, 2013

Julie S (a.k.a. Juliebean)

Fifteen years ago today, I met Julie.  It was a Tuesday night.  Freakish memory?  Maybe.  But I remember, because it was my first day of work (or night, rather) in the children's room at the public library in Dothan.  I was working with my boss (who was -- and is -- awesome), so I know it was a Tuesday.  And I remember it was Julie's birthday, because she was there finishing up her shift and someone had given her some of those Ferrero Rochert candies and she offered me one. 

Fifteen years.  That's almost half my lifetime.  But what a beautiful friendship it's been.  Funny, considering she didn't think she'd like working with me -- because she thought I was quiet.  (I quickly rectified that fear for her!)

Somehow, Julie and I discovered that we were similar in many ways.  We shelved books the same way....  We both liked a particular Divinyls song (which she said she would never have owned up to had I not done so first...).  And somehow, we became friends.  Over an ill-fated trip to the grocery store for Little Debbie Snack cakes (which we never found, by the way -- that was the ill-fated part).  That event was the last day of February in 1999. 

Before long, Julie and I were two peas in a pod.  And we did almost everything together.  We made s'mores together (some more decorative than others...).  We got lost on the way to Valdosta together.  We saw multiple chick flicks together in the summer of 1999.  (And more recently have seen some crummy non-chick-flicks together...)  And over the years...  Well, we did even more together (like the time I "helped" her pee...).  Okay, so it was her wedding day and she needed two people -- me and her momma -- to hold her dress up for her.  We'd gab on the phone for hours (I kid you not) every. single. day.  Back when we were both working women.  I don't know how we had so much to talk about...  We rang in many a new year together.  We fondued together.  I put on clown make-up at her house once.  We know Batman came out in 1989, and that a 1 in 10 chance of winning is good enough odds for a pair of awesome 80s gals like us.  We took Brosie to the vet together -- and still laugh about him peeing in the back of her car on the way home.  We took pictures with the Blues Brothers together.  And gotten each other the exact same Christmas present (not on purpose).

We've Tuscaloosa'ed together, Birmingham'ed together (before she lived there -- back when we were introduced to the trailer hotel and dumb sockey players...),  Savannah'ed together...  And soon we will be Seattle-ing together (and I can't wait!!!).

And we set a goal to take a photo together (professionally) every 10 years.  Starting with 1999.  We did it in 2009.  Only 6 more years to go for the next one...

We've been each other's ear for trials and heartaches, tears and fears.  We've been each other's cheer-leader for awesome life events and hopes and dreams.  We've seen each other grow.  We've seen each other through new jobs and "no" jobs (well, unless you count stay-at-home mom as a job... and we DO!)

It's been an amazing 15 years.  So much fun.  So much laughter.  How grateful I am for a cherished friendship which has endured.  How grateful I am for Juliebean (her nickname... and mine is Nilla... hence the url for this blog...). 

Here's to the next 15!  Happy Birthday, Julie.  Thanks for being a huge bright spot who rocks the Nilla life ;).

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: