Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Christmas Traditions


My day started at 4:30 this morning with a baby girl who was so congested she couldn't suck her thumb and go back to sleep.  Unless she was sleeping on mommy.  Who was sitting in the glider.  And not getting much sleep. 

And though I really loved the baby snuggles, the lack of sleep was hard (I went to bed around midnight).  And as so the day was kind of a grumpy one.  Until only a few minutes ago.

See, my mother-in-law made a sort of advent calendar type thing for all her boys and their families (she made them in 2004).  But it's a book.  And each day has a scripture to read, a Christmas song to sing, and a Christmas story to read.  This is the 3rd year my husband and I have done this tradition (the first being the Christmas we were dating).  And today's story just happened to be one of my favorites in the whole book (Christmas Day in the Morning by Pearl S. Buck).

And as I sat there listening to my husband read this story, my heart softened from the grumpiness I'd been allowing to fester up until that point. 

I'm grateful our family is keeping this tradition.  I look forward to the years ahead when our children are old enough to participate and enjoy it.  I'm grateful for a mother-in-law who gives some of the most cherished home-made gifts.  And I'm grateful for stories that soften my heart and remind me about what really matters.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: