Monday, December 30, 2013

My (Generally) Able Body

I will admit that my body's ability to do so much is one of those things I often take for granted. 

And then, out of the clear blue while not doing anything but bending over and standing up, my lower back tweaks and a strange sensation shoots down my right leg, and suddenly I'm realizing all my body does for me -- and how ultra-lame it is when something stops working awesomely.  (In this case, it's my lower back).

True, there are -- and have always been (and probably always will be) -- things I am not thrilled with about my body.  Mostly appearance things.

But my body (generally) functions as it should.  My body was even able to carry a baby -- something I worried would be an impossibility once upon a time.  I have ten fingers and ten toes; two hands and two feet.  How often do I realize what a great blessing it is to have all these working appendages?  Not often, I confess

I can remember being in elementary school, and one of my teachers showed us a video of a woman who was born without arms and hands.  She learned how to do so many things with her feet.  It was truly amazing.  If I'm honest with myself, I don't think I would have been as strong as that woman who excelled in spite of her body's limitations.  Half the time, when I've encountered my own body's flaws or limitations, I have been more of a whiner and a "why-me"-er.  Definitely need to work on that!

But, though my body is definitely imperfect in its own ways, it's certainly a very able body.  And I am grateful for that.  I am grateful I can walk and run (slowly... I'm definitely not a runner!).  I'm grateful I can hug and snuggle my baby -- and even change her diapers ;).  I'm grateful I can jump and drive a car and bend and carry and lift.  And do so many other things my body enables me to do without even thinking about it. 

My body isn't perfect, but it's mine.  It houses my spirit and allows me to experience so much of the wonderfulness of life so that I learn.  And I am grateful.  And I acknowledge that gratitude better on the days I am not up to snuff and my husband takes over baby duties so I can rest my back and heal.  (Mommies are in high demand, so it's never a good thing to be out of commission... even a little bit ;)!)

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: