Wednesday, September 3, 2014

My Sweet Niece Emily

So lately, I've had the opportunity to help my sister by watching her girls.  My niece Emily is 5 and will be starting Kindergarten in a couple of days.  But she still wasn't in school today like her big sister was, so I had her for most of the day (and her sister later in the afternoon too). 

Emily is awesome.  She used to call me "mama" when she was just learning to talk.  Mostly because I think that's the term she used for people she trusted and felt safe with.  I saw her the day she was born, and it's still hard for me to believe she is already 5 1/2.  Even harder to believe my little girl will be 5 1/2 one day.  (I held a newborn today and couldn't believe my munchkin was ever that small...  And yet she was.  It's a little heart-breaking how fast the time goes and how easily we forget what was...).

Anyway, as I had Emily here today, I noticed again how incredibly sweet she is with my toddler.  The difference in abilities between a 1 year old and a 5 year old is pretty vast.  And yet Emily is always so patient with my little girl.  She creates games they can play together -- even if my little one doesn't quite get it.  Emily always encourages my baby girl to follow her as she goes from room to room.  And my little girl loves it.  She adores Emily, I can tell. 

And it touches my heart to know my little girl already has such a loving and doting cousin.  Not that she doesn't have other loving cousins...  But there's something special about that Emily when it comes to my little girl.  She makes my little girl feel included and special.  And what that does for me as her mommy...  I lack words.  I've loved Emily for a long, long time.  Truth is, I think I loved my sister's girls as close to loving them like a mom loves her child as I could get (seeing as I didn't have a child at the time).  And this just makes me appreciate and love them (and her) even more.

Something else I've noticed about Emily in recent weeks is how she understands things intuitively...  Social situations.  The other day, when the nail polish was spilled on my rug, and I was trying desperately to clean it up as quickly as possible; my munchkin was interested in getting into the middle of everything.  Which was frustrating to me for two reasons:  1.  She was in the way.  But 2. Much more importantly, I was messing with a variety of chemicals I didn't want her to put her hands on and then in her mouth...  Emily could tell I needed my toddler entertained elsewhere.  She immediately stopped what she was doing and said, "I'll take her to her room."  She beckoned to my little girl, and the two of them went to the bedroom happily, and Emily kept her there entertained until I was through doing all I could do.  I was amazed at the wisdom and understanding at this 5 year old.  And grateful for it and her willingness to do that without being asked.

Yes, I love that Emily.  She is a joy in so many ways.  I'm glad I get to be her auntie.  Glad I get to be around her.  And glad I've been a part of her life since she was born.  What a blessing she is.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: