Friday, June 6, 2014

Anne L


Isn't it nice when I post food as a representation of my friends?  Haha... Well, what you see here is Italian Express's roast beef sandwich with gravy on the sandwich and on the side (for dipping your French fries).  If you are in the vicinity of Dothan, I highly recommend you swing by and try this for yourself.  It's delicious.

But what does that have to do with Anne?  Well, it's the place we have met up for lunch the last two times I got the opportunity to visit with her while I was down in Alabama visiting.  So it's pretty representative -- if you ask me :).

Also, Anne is amazing.  Just like that sandwich.

Anne was my first ever boss.  And she set a pretty high standard for what I would hope to have in future bosses.  Which means some of them fell short.  Because Anne was an awesome boss.  She was fun, she didn't micro-manage, she became my friend.  I can still remember a few late nights hanging out at her house and yapping about stuff.  Mostly men.

I remember I pretty much always felt comfortable confiding in Anne.  And I remember she pretty much forced me to do one of the most awkward things ever -- to that point of age 18:  tell the guy I was crushing on how I felt about him before I left for college.  And yeah, I was nervous as anything...  I can picture it clear as though it was yesterday -- those nerve-wracking moments...  But I did it.  And somehow I think I grew a little in confidence from that.  And I never regretted doing it.  (She didn't really force me...  But she definitely encouraged me to do it.)

Some of my favorite memories from working for (and with) Anne were from the summer of 1999.  She and I worked Tuesday nights at the library.  And it would get pretty slow towards 9:00 p.m.  So I can remember sitting on the floor between the bookshelves, shelf-reading, and talking.  Lots of talking.  I probably hung out up there even when I was working and she was, just because we were yapping.  (And by probably, I mean definitely.)

I remember being in my job interview and they asked me my favorite book.  And I laugh at myself now -- not even sure what I was thinking then.  The only explanation I have for saying my favorite book was The Grapes of Wrath is that I had been reading a lot of classic literature at that time (a senior in high school), and since we'd discussed that novel a lot my Junior year when we read it at the end of the year, I felt like I could answer a question about it if they asked me one.  Except maybe the question they did ask me...  Which was:  Why is that your favorite book?  Hahaha.  I kind of cringe just thinking about it.  Because it's not my favorite book.  Eh, I'll just chock it up to nerves.  But I wonder what Anne was thinking when I said that.  And fast-forward a couple days, and I remember when she went into the computer lab, where I was working on a computer, and telling me I'd gotten the job!  I was pretty excited.

She was there at the Applebee's in 2006 when a bunch of us who used to work together at the library got together to eat and visit and chat -- because some of us would be moving away soon.  I was one of those.  I don't remember one bit of the conversations we had...  But I remember we were the loudest group in Applebee's that night.  And the irony wasn't lost on us -- since the place we'd all worked together was the library.  Classic.  Good times.

In the intervening 15 years between now and whens he was my boss, we've kept in touch.  Whether I was near or far.  I know she's helped me through lots of rough patches.  And I hope I've done the same for her on some level, at least.  I'm grateful for her.  Immensely grateful.  In many ways, she helped shape who I have become.  Because who knows what paths I'd have pursued had I never gotten my first job in the Children's room of the public library.  And I'm grateful for someone who is always willing to meet me at Italian Express when I show up in Dothan :).  It makes me -- and my tummy -- happy :).  Great, I think I'm seriously craving that now...

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: