Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Arroz con Pollo (Panamanian Chicken and Rice)


I grew up on this stuff.  And so it holds a special place in my heart. 

As with many things, there's not a whole lot I can say about it.  My mom makes it way better than I do (even though I follow the same recipe).  And I guess, for me, it's just sort of like comfort food.  And it's pretty healthy.  (Especially if you cut down on the salt...)

Tonight was Baby Girl's first time trying it out.  And based on the results, I think there will be another generation loving this yummy deliciousness. :).

So here's the recipe my mom gave me (and which I follow, except I've cut the salt back to 1 1/4 teaspoons and usually use a little less chicken).

2 to 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup celery (about 3 sticks) chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 8-ounce (or 1 15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 teaspoon oregano
1 can chopped pimiento (optional)
1 8-ounce can tiny green peas (optional)
1/2 cup chopped stuffed olives (optional)
6 cups water
5 tablespoons oil, divided
2 tablespoons capers (optional)
2 1/2 cups raw rice
1 tablespoon salt


In 3 tablespoons oil, cook chicken breasts until browned on both sides. Remove chicken and saute onion, garlic, green pepper, cilantro, and celery until onion is soft. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt, oregano, and water. Cook chicken in this same sauce until tender (about 45 minutes at a low boil). Remove chicken from sauce and allow to cool until able to be handled. Shred chicken. Fry rice in 2 tablespoons oil until golden. Add 2 ladles of sauce to the rice, stir to mix, and then add all that back into the original pot of sauce. Bring sauce to a boil, stirring occasionally. Continue cooking until most of the liquid has been absorbed; add chicken. Cover. Continue cooking over low heat until rice is flaky and dry. Add olives, chopped pimiento, capers, and peas if desired. Serve hot.

 
What are you grateful for today?