Thursday, June 26, 2014

Seeing My Baby Girl's Personality Emerge

Okay, so she's not my baby anymore.  Except for the fact that she'll always be my baby.  (There's a song for that, by the way -- Mariah Carey).

But one of the most fun things I've recently had the privilege of doing is watching her personality emerge and develop.  And I don't think I fully realized it until tonight.  Tonight she was my shadow as I attended an ice cream social type of event.  And I watched her personality as she interacted there.

My munchkin is not shy.  I don't know if this is normal for this age or not.  But if it isn't...  Well, then she isn't shy.  She may stare a new person down for a bit before she decides whether or not to give them a smile...  But she isn't shy. 

She is also very curious and inquisitive.  And while it was a struggle tonight to keep her from poking some newborns in the face (she definitely kept me on the move)...  I love that she is wanting to explore her world.  She is learning so much.

And she is courageous.  She isn't afraid to explore.  I know, as a child, I was very shy.  I stayed with my parents all the time when I was in a new place or new situation.  Often my parents had to coax me to go play with the other kids.  It doesn't seem that will be the case with my little one.

I've heard people say that the parent the child looks like is not the one the child acts like.  At this point (since most people say she looks like me), I'm saying that is true for us.  And, knowing my husband's personality and some of the stories from his early years...  A part of me is terrified about what that means ;).

But oh how I love her.  And I am so grateful I realized today that I am having a beautiful opportunity to watch my sweet girl's personality blossom.  And I am grateful I can be her mommy and try to encourage all the goodness within her.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: