Monday, June 30, 2014

My Pots and Pans


Many moons ago, when I was a young adult, my goal was to start collecting things for when I would move out -- either on my own or with a husband.  I made a list of things I would need.  (Because I really like lists.)  Every payday, I would try to get something on my list.  I'm pretty sure this is how I acquired my can opener.  And a few other items.  Sometimes I would save up -- or put an item on layaway.  That's how I got my futon (which I got rid of several years ago). 

Anyway, my mom knew about my goals.  My chestless hope chest, I guess we'll call it ;).  And so, for my birthday (my 20th maybe?), she bought me my very first set of pots and pans.  I didn't move out for a while longer...  Not until I was 22.  And until then, I saved them in the box -- brand new.  Because I wanted to treasure them and use them in my place.

And I did.  And I still do treasure them.  And use them!  They've cooked many a great meal.  Including tonight when they helped prepare our Marvelous Monday Meal.  But it's more than that...  They are a reminder of my mother's love.  A reminder that she has always tried to help me reach for my dreams.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: