Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Opportunities to Understand and Appreciate My Parents More

I realize I'm probably 20 years too late...  But even so.  I am realizing that every day provides me with opportunities to better understand my parents and why they did some of the things they did.  And to appreciate them for their efforts.  Even if I wasn't appreciative at the time.

So Tuesday nights are youth activities.  And that means I'm heading to the church at 7:00 p.m. to participate as one of the leaders. 

Inevitably, Tuesdays feel like I got slam-dunked by a tornado.  So, if I can swing it, I like to do a leftover night on Tuesday, just so I can remove "making dinner" from  my to-do list.  That didn't really happen tonight.

And so, as I was driving down the hill -- with the munchkin in tow (Daddy's still on swings) -- it occurred to me why Wednesday night dinners two decades ago were what they were.

So what were they?  I mean, to this day, I can tell you what we had every Wednesday night when we were all teenagers:  pollo patties (chicken patties) and hash browns.  And after the umpteenth time of this, I was sicker than sick of them.  It may have had to do with a time I bit into something hard in my chicken patty.  And that pretty much ruined it for me.  But anyway, I can remember complaining to my mom about this meal.  And refusing to eat it.

Fast forward twenty years, and it all makes sense.  I mean, I knew the reason back then.  My mom worked full-time and then took us all to youth activities on Wednesday nights.  And in the middle of the two, she had to make dinner (and probably a million other things I never considered).  And this was just easy and fast.  And I was a punk.

I realize that now.  Because I feel it.  And I don't even work outside the home.  And I still feel like Tuesdays are crazy.  And like I can't handle having to make a meal.

So, though you'll never read this, thank you Mom.  Thank you for making sure your kids were fed (if they so chose).  Thank you for making the effort amidst all the other things you had to do.  And thank you for putting up with your punk teenage daughter's lack of gratitude back then.  And for forgiving me for it.  I understand now.

And for that, I'm grateful.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: