Friday, June 20, 2014

Fresh-Picked Raspberries


So the yield isn't hugely phenomenal, but even so...  These are among the first raspberries we've picked off our raspberry plants!!! 

These raspberry plants were planted in 2011.  They were among the first things my husband brought me when we were first dating.  (Here's a fun little factoid for you:  on our first date, he offered to bring me cow manure!!  Haha...  Surely he knows the way to a girl's heart ;)...  But in all seriousness, he offered for my garden.  But still a great story!)

Anyway, the first year you plant the starts, they don't produce any berries.  But, ideally, the next year they are supposed to.  Well...  I don't think we got more than 2 or 3.  And I don't think we got more than 10 last year, either.  We didn't really tend these very well... 

But this year, I've made a point of watering the raspberries every time I'm over at the garden.  Plus, they've spread nicely too.  And the result is that we already have some lovely plump, juicy raspberries!  And they are delicious!  Baby Girl loves them too.  Like, immediately off the plant.

And seeing them sitting on the bushes all ripe and ready for the pickin'...  Well, it makes me happy :).

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: