Sunday, June 1, 2014

Fast and Testimony Meeting

So in my faith, the first Sunday of almost every month (those Sundays when Conference falls on the first Sunday of the month are excluded, but Fast and Testimony meeting is moved to a different week) is Fast and Testimony meeting.

The fasting part is individual and left to a person's agency to choose whether they will or not.  But basically, we believe in the law of the fast -- to go two executive meals without food and then donate the money we would have spent on those meals to a fast offering (which is used at church leaders' discretion for congregants who may need financial assistance).  We believe, as Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin (who was one of the Twelve Apostles prior to his death) said, "Fasting, coupled with mighty prayer, is powerful. It can fill our minds with the revelations of the Spirit. It can strengthen us against times of temptation." 

Testimony Meeting is the theme (for lack of a better term) for the Sacrament meeting that Sunday.  And members of the congregation are invited to come forward, if they feel inspired to do so, and share their testimony.  They can share a testimony of anything of which they have a testimony.  And it is an opportunity to be edified and uplifted as we listen to others share those things they know and believe to be true.

Oftentimes, for me, it is an opportunity to feel the Spirit touch my heart and testify to me of the words that are spoken.  Because it is amazing to hear the experiences of others... experiences they have had that have strengthened their faith... experiences they have had which have cemented their knowledge that God lives and that He loves them.

Today was a beautiful testimony meeting.  I felt the Spirit today, and it was a beautiful thing.  I was touched by the words spoken by so many who testified of the love our Savior Jesus Christ has for us.  Who testified that the Lord knows us and knows what we go through.  And that He cares. 

Anyway, I think I must have just needed it today.  Because it probably wasn't any different from most testimony meetings I attend.  But today just felt more special and significant to me.  So I'm grateful I was there.  And grateful I could be uplifted and edified by so many.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: